Saturday, 5 March 2016

A Story By My Grandmother.

Spending time with my grandparents has been the most magical learning experience ever since I was a kid. I was taught how to be mischievous without being spoilt. I was taught how to be responsible in the tiniest way possible. I learnt how living a simple life can still lead to such a happy life.

For the past couple of days while I stayed with my grandparents, they taught me something a young person of today's time, should definitely learn about; something emotional, yet really eye opening.

I was talking to my grandmother on an evening spent by the window when she started telling me her struggles as a young woman, as a young wife, and as a mother of two kids.
Typically, when your grandmother tells you a story, you just leave everything aside and just gaze at how brilliantly she narrates every bit of whichever story she says; that's the same I did.

She started off as a young girl in a village somewhere in Tamil Nadu where there was scarcity of water to when she got married and was taken to Chennai, where she wore her first pair of slippers to when she was taken to Kuwait after 3 months of her marriage, where my grandfather lived.

Amongst all this, I noticed one aspect of her life.
She never forgot to thank every single person who helped her through all her journeys. Be it God, be it the man who helped her buy her the first pair of slippers to the family who helped her husband survive in tough conditions while he was in Bombay, to the Gujarati lady in Kuwait who taught her to converse in Hindi or the uncle with whom she travelled to Kuwait to meet her husband.
Every single person who helped her even in the tiniest way possible, was thanked while she narrated her life story.
It doesn't take more than a moment to thank someone's effort for you.

My Grandparents also helped many people in their tough times.
She also says that many of them don't even appreciate their efforts today.

"But when helping someone makes you happy, then not being appreciated shouldn't be a restriction to your happiness"

Today, after the amazing story she narrated, I'd like to thank the people who've been a part of my life.

Thanks to those who hate me,
Your hate made me stronger.
Thanks to those who loved me,
You made my heart go fonder.
Thanks to those who cared,
You made me feel important.
Thanks to those who entered my life,
You made me who I am today.
Thanks to those who left,
You showed me that nothing lasts forever.
Thanks to those who stayed,
You showed me true friendship.
Thanks to those who listened,
You made me feel like I was worth it.

2 comments: